With the increasing number of data sources, one challenge for a BI deployment is to gather data coming from multiple databases. In most situations, a new data mart is usually put in place to synchronize all of the information.
Creating a data mart requires moving data from the various sources to the target source with a data integration process.
- Setting up the data mart and the integration jobs is often expensive in terms of resources and lengthy in time.
- That is why; Semantic Layer is designed to provide an easy-to-use interface for non-technical business user from different data sources.
Introduction to Semantic Layer
- A semantic layer is a business representation of corporate data that helps end users access data autonomously using common business terms.
- Semantic layer maps complex data into familiar business terms such as product, customer, or revenue to offer a unified, consolidated view of data across the organization.
- A semantic layer simplifies the complexity of business data. These business terms are stored as objects in a universe, accessed through business views.
- A semantic layer enables business users to access and analyze data stored in a relational database and OLAP cubes.
Features of Semantic Layer
- Semantic layer use business terms, rather than data language, to access, manipulate, and organize information; it simplifies the complexity of business data.
- Access to all the major relational data base sources
- Supports and extends database security
- Provides multi-source layer to combine more than one relational data source at a time
- Increases self-sufficiency and reduces IT bottleneck.
- Reduces, postpones or eliminates ETL development cycles
They already deliver universe related to Finance, Human Recourse, Sales and Marketing, SCM departments and Pharma & healthcare, hospitality, FMCG, Telecom & Billing and Port Industries etc.
- Access any data through SAP Business Objects BI universes – without losing productivity
- Unlock silos and deliver a single version of the truth across your organization
- Leverage your existing investments in SAP Business Objects BI solutions
- Familiar business tools meet trusted enterprise data.
- The places an layer between database and business users and presents database/data warehouse in Business Terminologies which makes easy for them to create a report.
- Universe allows user to have no knowledge of SQL only developer needs to know the SQL. Business User can simply drag drop the objects and the tool will generate the required query to fetch the data.
- All types and security can be applied on Universe making it data secure and only available to related person.